Tuesday, May 12, 2009

And Then...There Was Finchford


Just when I was thinking that perhaps I had this whole road thing figured out, we threw Finchford into the mix. A 5.5 mile circuit repeated five times. Sounds easy enough. Then throw in a few hills, a smaller group and some 20 to 30 mph winds. Still, very doable.

Throw on top of that a little more than 200 miles in the legs in a 8 day period, a TT less than 48 hours prior, and temps that were a little more than chilly.

There you have Finchford. Oh. And did I mention peeling one's ass from bed at 5 a.m. to drive over and then racing back soas to get the kid to baseball in time?

I am so NOT a morning person. What DO I have figured out?

The more you learn, the less you know. In comparison with the Iowa City Road Race, this was not even on the same scale. Iowa City was fast. One attack after another with my heartrate skyrocketed out my ears 99.9% of the race. During this race...at one point I nearly peed myself laughing. Yes. Laughing. It was by comparison's sake...real slow.

We thought we had a plan, and it could not have been further from coming to fruition.

Nonetheless, one cannot underestimate multiple attacks in the final 2.5 miles into a headwind and a finish into said headwind that goes straight up. My legs are STILL screaming from that final sprint. Anti-climatic as that race was, the finish was exciting. It also nearly killed me.

Results from Finchford are here.
Iowa Cup standings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment